Thanks for listening to the Ericast! Yes, listening! The underlined program titles below are links to the recorded show.

Click a title to listen to a show, or right-click it to save it to your hard drive and play the show from there.

Add this feed to your podcatching software by connecting to:

Get in touch! Send an e-mail to or call 1-701-645-ERIC (3742) and leave a message!

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Episode 70 - "Mikael, Part 2"

The long-awaited "Part 2" of my interview with performer extraordinaire Mikael Rudolph (info at

This part of the interview talks about Mikael's show "Swim Home", its Christian perspective/context/overtones, and Mikael's political views -- in general, what it means to be "Christian" and "politically active" in this country today.

Much different from Part 1, and equally interesting (in my opinion)!

Because time was short, we weren't able to talk in detail about additional resources that you, the dedicated listener, might want to browse if you're intrigued by Mikael's comments. But he was good enough to forward the following list of "recommended reading", so-to-speak:

  • The Project for a New American Century's own published plans for global domination with signers Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowicz, Perle, John Bolton, Jeb Bush and a number of other now Bush Administration officials and/or corporate cronies.
  • Independent journalist Greg Palast - an American working for the BBC
  • Independent journalist Dahr Jamail (a great source of REAL truth from Iraq)
  • Seymour Hersh (maybe the greatest living journalist in my opinion)
  • The writings of William Rivers Ritt
  • Countdown with Keith Aldermann
  • The website of House Representative John Conyers, Jr.
  • AlterNet
  • Truthdig
  • Progressive Democrats of America
  • The New York Times
  • The Washington Post
  • The London Times
  • British Broadcast Company
  • Canadian Broadcast Company
  • Veterans for Peace
  • Veterans for Peace and Justice
  • Iraq Veterans Against the War
  • Amnesty International
  • The American Civil Liberties Union
  • Minnesota DFL Party
  • People for the American Way
  • Harper's Weekly
  • School of the Americas Watch
  • Act for Change
  • Public Campaign Action
  • The Colbert Report OF COURSE!!!
  • The Late Show with John Stewart
  • Air America Radio
  • Working Assets
  • Working Families e-activist Network
  • Amy Goodman's Democracy Now! is very dry, but she is incredibly brilliant and cuts to the core of the news
  • Original documents on the web including very personal correspondence between ENRON criminal Ken Lay and the President
As I mention in the podcast, I agree with about 90% of what Mikael is saying, and it's up to you to figure out the other 10%... so I'm not necessarily endorsing the above references. But if you're intrigured by what Mikael has to say in this episode, you now have some reading that you can do!
As always, if you have any questions/concerns/comments/thoughts, call 206-339-3742 (206-339-ERIC) or e-mail eric at And thanks for listening!


  • Thanks Eric. I really enjoyed the interview. I just need to learn to SPEAK UP!!! (Not that uncommon for a mime, I know). I did want to mention one more resource that might be of interest to you and your listerners: Sojourners Magazine and online Christian resource center:

    Pastor Jim Wallis is a wonderful speaker and writer who really clarifies how being a Christian can be reconciled with a truly compassionate and Progressive political view. Social justice and serving the needs of the poor are Christian values and "Sojourners" is one part of the Christian Church as a whole that can help us all to see that giving to those in most need can and will help us find the true heart of Christ in our actions. Here is one quote:

    Poverty is not a family value
    by Jim Wallis 6-29-2006
    It is the season when we celebrate the church coming down from that upper room into the streets with the power of the Spirit to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ. The good news that he proclaimed in his opening mission statement in the little town of Nazareth: "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor."

    As I think was clear from the interview, I have a tough time reconciling this calling upon Jesus and upon us with the way the Evangelical Church in American seems so eager to embrace and support our government that summarily rejects continuing support for any and all programs that help the poor and most vulnerable in favor of tax breaks for the rich and no-bid contracts for the even richer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home